Dear parents, staff, students, and community members,
As you are most likely aware, Bill 40, an Act to amend mainly the Education Act with regard to school organization and governance in Quebec, was adopted by the National Assembly on February 8, 2020. It is important to note that while the impact of the legislation is immediate in the Francophone school boards, the law allows for a transition period in the Anglophone school boards. Our present council of commissioners remains in function until November 2020. This will allow for elections to be organized to elect representatives to sit on the new board of directors.
We at the Lester B. Pearson School Board would like to assure you that we shall continue to provide all educational and complementary services to our students. We remain focused on student achievement, wellness and engagement while adhering to our core values of respect, integrity, innovation, inclusion, and community.
Here are some important points to keep in mind:
• Our council of commissioners who work diligently for student success remain in office and will continue their work until November 2020;
• The tasks and responsibilities of all employees of the Lester B. Pearson School Board remain essentially the same;
• School elections are maintained for English-language school service centres; the composition of the board of directors will be changed according to the new law. It will be composed of parents, staff and community members;
• We will provide updated information throughout the transition process;
• We will work diligently and conscientiously with our community during this transition period.
We are very proud of the achievements of the Lester B. Pearson School Board, and we thank you for your contributions to making our school board one of the most successful in the province. Together, we will continue to provide rich learning opportunities for the students in our schools and centres.
CIndy FInn, Director General Noel Burke, Chair