On Monday April 27th, the Ministry of Education made a number of announcements concerning the reopening of schools. We are providing you with the details available to us at this time:
Gradual reopening schedule for elementary schools
Starting May 11th, all of Quebec’s elementary schools will be able to reopen, with the exception of those in the Montreal Metropolitan Community (MMC). Schools in the MMC, which includes all of the Lester B. Pearson School Board territory should be able to reopen as of May 19th, if the situation allows. Thus, the projected reopening date for all Lester B. Pearson elementary schools is Tuesday May 19th.
The government’s plan also includes:
- Providing parents the choice as to whether their child returns to school or not
- Following strict hygiene and physical distancing measures established by public health authorities
- Class groupings being restricted to no more than 15 students
- School daycare services resuming when elementary schools open
- Encouraging parents to provide their own transportation as bussing services are likely limited
- Encouraging students with learning difficulties to return to school so they can benefit from the maximum pedagogical support provided by their school
The Ministry of Education has made it clear that a return to elementary school is voluntary. If your child or someone with whom your child lives is medically vulnerable (e.g., chronic illness or severe immune deficiency), it is recommended that your child remain at home and continue distance learning.
Continued closure of secondary schools:
Secondary schools will remain closed until August. Secondary students can continue their education online. Activities will continue to be sent out each week in addition to teachers working with their students until the end of the school year. More information will be forthcoming about these activities.
We are actively working with our schools to further the reopening of elementary schools and other activities. We ask that you do not contact your child’s school at this time as we continue our planning.
The LBPSB will continue to provide you with important updates on the opening of elementary schools and daycares as soon as they become available.